Thursday, September 11, 2008

Out of Africa!

WE LEAVE TOMORROW!!!



Practicing the backpack!


So I'm starting this new post... I'll try to update it at least once a week from Africa. Please keep checking back! I'm told that the internet connection in Kenya is pretty poor, but we'll do our best to let you know what's going on.


The puppets, McKenna and I are packed and ready to go...! We've made our umpteenth final trip to Walmart for insect repellent, sunblock and things like that.

This is Deedee, my favorite singing puppet...

This morning I'm up early again! I got up with Patrick around 3:40 a.m. with lots of things spinning around in my mind. A lady called yesterday and is bringing over some socks this afternoon for the children to make their own sock puppets. Phil is dropping off something for me to take to Bob & Ann. My brother Steve's seeds arrived yesterday just in time! Thanks Steve, Lisa, Maria, Mom and Hortie - thanks so much. My son Michael and his financee' Sarah are sending out a new battery for my phone and I sure hope it arrives today! Thanks to Pat Clay who wrote a newspaper article about our trip which was printed yesterday. (You can view it at http://www.floridatoday.com/ if you do a search with my or McKenna's name.) Wow!



I've had many people calling to pray with me these past few days including Ann, Eric, Ellen, Nancy, Charlene, Howard, and Maria. THANK YOU!!! Thanks to all who have so kindly contributed to my mission trip in prayers, socks, seeds and finances. Please, oh please do pray this month for us!





Our travel time is about 31 hours long! We leave around 7:15 a.m. tomorrow and arrive in Nairobi, Kenya the next day at around 3:00 p.m. If you go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtizkHTT1I&NR=1 you can see some airplane exercises!


(New visitors: You can read the previous post if you want. It's got trip information and stuff in it. Please do pray for us!!! )


In all the excitement of preparation, we are sobered as we think of the dire circumstances that more than 2,000,000 people around Nairobi find themselves in. We'll be ministering to just 200 children during the first week, 300 on Saturday then 150-300 on Sunday at the Mitumba slum city. To these children of impoverished imigrants we are hoping to bring a message of hope in God for a future beyond their wildest dreams through faith in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Their parents left their rural villages in hope of finding a better life, but have instead found the dead-end of slum city living.


We'll also be at other places including Kijabe hospital and the Masai Mara ministering the hope of the Gospel. We'll try to keep you posted. Please don't forget us. Keep us in your prayers.
No, I'm not leaving barefoot!

No comments: